Is Your Commercial or Business Insurance Company Denying Payments or Delaying Coverage Benefits?
Our California Insurance Dispute Lawyers Help Businesses and Professionals Maximize Their Insurance Compensation
California businesses and professionals put their utmost faith in insurance companies to protect them from financial damage when problems arise. Whether it be employer liability, malpractice lawsuits, construction litigation, commercial property damage, shareholder actions, or other adverse issues, policyholders are confident that their insurance will promptly and thoroughly cover whatever is needed.
But all too often, that isn’t the case. Insurance companies delay payments, restrict claim payout amounts, or outright refuse to pay coverage. Greedy insurance companies may accuse the policyholder of misconduct or try to argue technicalities and grounds for denial that they hope the insured party won’t fight back.
Insurance coverage denial can be disastrous. Even the most successful California businesses and professionals can crumble under the resulting financial strain.
Don’t let an insurance company try to convince you that you aren’t covered.
Leading Southern California Insurance Dispute Attorney Steve Hochfelsen helps California businesses and individuals promptly claim their rightful policy benefits. Contact Attorney Steve Hochfelsen today for a free, no-risk case consultation. 714-907-0697 or Connect Online.
Legal Rights of California Insurance Policyholders
California insurance policyholders have significant rights under state regulations and insurance policy provisions. In fact, California insurance law leans in favor of the policyholder. Our Orange County Insurance Dispute and Bad Faith Litigation Law Firm specializes in holding insurance companies liable for such unlawful activities as:
- Bad faith
- Breach of contract
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Insurance fraud
- Intentional infliction of emotional distress
- Negligent misrepresentation
- Unfair claims practices
- Unfair competition
Insurance companies owe a number of duties to their policyholders. When an insurance company breaches any one of these duties, the insured party has a right to file a lawsuit against the insurance company for damages. Some of the primary responsibilities an insurer owes its policyholders include:
- Duty to promptly and thoroughly investigate claims: Insurance companies must act quickly to examine claims and pay the policyholder the required benefits.
- Duty to indemnify: Insurance companies must compensate the insured party for losses covered by the policy, including related third-party liability claims.
- Duty to defend: Insurance companies must defend the insured party against third-party claims, providing legal representation, a meaningful defense, and legal expenses.
- Duty to settle: Insurers must make a good faith effort to settle within the limits of the insurance policy, even when no demand for settlement is made.
- Duty to disclose conflicts: Insurers must disclose any conflicts of interest to the policyholder. In these cases, the insurance company may need to pay for a separate attorney, or “Cumis counsel,” to represent the insured party.
Policyholders are not responsible for reminding insurance companies of their obligations. When an insurance company violates any of the above duties or otherwise breaches a contract, the policyholder can sue for damages.
Has Your Insurance Company Acted in Bad Faith?
Under California insurance bad faith laws and unfair practices [Cal. Ins. Code §§790-790.5], insurance contracts also hold an implied Duty of good faith and fair dealing. When an insurance company violates this duty, they act in bad faith. Examples of insurance company bad faith acts under California law may include:
- Denying, delaying, or reducing payment of insurance benefits
- Discouraging a policyholder from obtaining an insurance lawyer
- Failing to offer a prompt and reasonable explanation for insurance claim denial
- Failing to affirm or deny insurance coverage promptly
- Failing to promptly and thoroughly investigate an insurance claim
- Giving misleading information or false advertising of insurance policies
- Misrepresenting or misinterpreting insurance policy provisions
- Placing unreasonable restrictions on insurance payments
- Refusing to defend a policyholder in litigation
- Refusing to offer a reasonable settlement
- Refusing to renew an insurance policy after payment
California Bad Faith Litigation Attorney Steve Hochfelsen’s extraordinary track record of success in representing a breach of contract, bad faith, and insurance fraud claims continues to bring millions in imperative recoveries for wronged policyholders.
As one of just a handful of California attorneys who obtained a summary judgment against an insurer for acting in bad faith by refusing to defend a policyholder, Attorney Hochfelsen’s superior legal know-how, extensive experience, and complete investigative resources equip clients to fight the most powerful insurance company defense teams in both state and federal court.
Were you denied your insurance policy benefits? Orange County’s renowned Bad Faith Litigation Lawyer Steve Hochfelsen can help protect your legal rights and maximize your due compensation. Contact Attorney Steve Hochfelsen today for a free case consultation. 714-907-0697 or Connect Online.
We Handle All Types of California Insurance Coverage Lawsuits
Insurance bad faith lawsuits and breach of contract litigations can be highly complex, requiring a combined knowledge of insurance and business law, skilled investigators, expert testimony, and aggressive legal representation.
Orange County, California Insurance Lawsuit Attorney Steve Hochfelsen and his law firm represent policyholders in breach of contract and bad faith insurance coverage lawsuits involving a vast array of insurance coverage types, including:
- Advertising injury / defamation liability claims
- Business interruption
- Commercial general liability (CGL) coverage
- Commercial property insurance, builders’ risk, marine
- Completed operations insurance
- Construction liability claims
- Contractor-controlled insurance programs (CCIP)
- Cyber losses and privacy coverage
- Directors’ and officers’ owner-controlled insurance (OCIP)
- Directors’ and officers' (D&O) insurance
- Employment practices liability
- Environmental coverage
- ERISA claims
- Errors and omissions (E&O) insurance
- Event cancellation insurance
- Pollution liability insurance
- Product liability insurance
- Professional liability insurance
- Professional liability malpractice insurance
- Unfair business practice claims
- Workers compensation insurance
- WRAP insurance policies
Our dedicated Southern California insurance dispute law firm handles California’s most complicated insurance lawsuits against the nation’s largest, high-power insurance companies, including:
- Berkshire Hathaway
- CNA Financial
- Fidelity National
- Liberty Mutual
- State Farm
We hold the wrongdoers accountable. If you are having difficulty getting your insurance policy payout, contact Orange County Insurance Lawyer Steve Hochfelsen today for a free case consultation. 714-907-0697 or Connect Online.
How Much Can I Recover with a California Insurance Lawsuit?
Through a successful insurance breach of contract lawsuit, the policyholder can recover the full and appropriate amount of the original insurance claim defined by the policy, plus interest.
Bad faith cases may involve more severe, often intentional, wrongdoing. Therefore successful insurance bad faith lawsuits recover much more than the value of the original claim. A California insurance bad faith lawsuit victory allows the policyholder to recover the policy amount, plus additional economic damages, emotional distress compensation, and attorneys’ fees.
When we are able to prove that the insurance company acted with actual malice, gross negligence, fraud with intent to deceive, or other extreme conduct, a jury may also award punitive damages, meant to punish the insurance company and dissuade similar activity within the industry.
Steve Hochfelsen’s accomplished and aggressive legal team fights for the maximum recovery for every client. Our combined experience in insurance law and business litigation make us California’s go-to legal counsel when going up against the nation’s major insurance companies and their high-dollar defense teams.
Act fast! Early intervention is key to preventing the financial damage that can result from an insurance company’s misconduct. Contact leading California Insurance Attorney Steve Hochfelsen now for a free case consultation. 714-907-0697 or Connect Online.
Located in Newport Beach, California, Attorney Steve Hochfelsen represents professional practice groups, Fortune 500 corporations, start-ups, small businesses, and individuals in Los Angeles, Orange County, Beverly Hills, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernadino, San Francisco, San Jose, Silicon Valley, and across the state of California.